Oxford University is a confederation of 38 colleges. My host here at Oxford, Dr. Tom Kemp, is a Fellow at St John's College, so I've been able to stay in a Fellows Guest Room during my visit here. Last night Tom invited me to a Fellows dinner at the college. It was a four course meal that included champagne before dinner, white and red wine with dinner, and Port with dessert. All of the Fellows were wearing gowns and I sat with them at the High Table, while the students in the hall were all seated at the low tables... We all stood up before dinner, something was said in Latin, the gavel was struck, and we sat down to eat. Dinner ended in the same way.
Earlier in the day I had a chance to walk around the university. I saw the Bodleian Library and Sheldonian Theater, and I visited the Ashmolean Museum, which is the oldest public museum in Britain (founded in 1683).
Wednesday, 19 November 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment