Christ's College
Monday, 1 December 2008
Christ's College at Cambridge University
I returned to Cambridge on Friday because I was invited to a Fellows dinner at Christ's College. It was another four course meal like the one I had at Oxford. Again, the Fellows were all wearing gowns, and we sat at the High Table while the students sat at the low tables. After dinner the Fellows and their guests retired to the Senior Combination Room for Port and Claret. We drank 7 toasts: 1 to the Queen, 3 to the guests (I didn't drink when I was toasted), and 3 to our hosts. One bottle of Claret was presented on my behalf to welcome me to the College and drink to my health. All the proceedings (toasts, presentations, guests, etc.) were entered in a Wine Book. The Wine Books for the College span centuries, and I was quite happy to see an entry from 1836 when Darwin attended a Fellows dinner and drank in the same room. I also had Sunday Roast (meat, potatoes, veggies, and Yorkshire pudding) at a pub on the River Cam where I saw rowing crews on their outings (above the lock) . I also saw people punting on the same river (below the lock).
Christ's College
Christ's College
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Eric- I thought punting refers to the act of kicking an oblate spheroid in the American sport of football. Dick
Post a Comment